Monday, August 18, 2008

Concerning Ugandan children

I gotta be careful because I’m starting to develop a sense of celebrity. (don’t think me vain, I know I don’t deserve any of it, and it’s not like I’m looking for any special treatment or signing autographs) It’s just really hard not to when I can make a group of kids erupt into fits of uncontrollable laughter with only a smile and a wave. And there is no shortage of Ugandan children seeking attention from us “Mzungus”. They hear our van coming and they come out in droves, waving and shouting. It’s addicting. And I have to control myself because if I’m not careful my entire time here will be spent on a soccer field surrounded by 100 laughing adorable kids.

Seriously, nothing is quite like the smile and laughter of a Ugandan child. A kid who’s been wearing the same clothes for, who knows how long- a week, maybe two. Who’s had nothing to eat but some rice and cabbage or some beans.

And these kids have energy to burn! I don’t know where they get it all. It’s so beautifully exhausting to spend a few hours with these kids, to have them hanging on your every mispronounced Lugandan word and hanging on your arms. And if you really wanna get them going just introduce a soccer ball into the equation. I don’t even know the specific rules of the game, but I play. And that’s whats important. (I really have to learn now because one of the Suubi ladies son who’s 23 asked me to play with the men. And they’re amazing) Most of the time the kids just want to be near you, or to touch your skin. Or for you to act like a lion and chase them around all day long. It never gets old.

The other day they asked me to take off my socks so they could see my feet. I did, and it was like I’d just lit off some fireworks or something, they were totally amazed. I know they’ve seen white feet before, mine are just probably the whitest. I mean what do you do with that? I almost started to cry because I just couldn’t comprehend their joy…I think maybe that’s where I run into trouble here, trying to make sense of happiness. I have to stop thoughts like “How can they be so freakin’ happy? They live in a shack and they don’t have any shoes”. If I let them, thoughts like that will completely ruin my time here, because it’s impossible for me to carry each of these families out of poverty. It really is. (that’s not to say we shouldn’t try like crazy, because God does provide and miracles are real) And I’m not gonna waste my time feeling guilty about that, because that’ll drive me crazy too. What it boils down to is just doing what Christ wants us all to do, and when you come to that realization it’s unbelievably simple. Just love one another. That’s another fact that just completely blows my mind! The love that I’m giving these kids is the love of Jesus in me, and I’m just passing it along. It’s literally me sitting there acting on Jesus’ behalf. I mean, come on, can I really be this blessed?! I gotta stop myself from crying in moments of realization like that for two reasons. One, I’d probably never stop crying. And two, I’d freak these kids out. But it’s the best feeling I’ve ever known to be right where God wants me to be, doing exactly what He wants me to do. Even if it is just showing off my ridiculously white skin, which up until now has been kind of a running joke, and a little embarrassing at times. But if I can use my whiteness as a tool to show God’s love then, hey, I hope I never get a tan. GOD IS SO GOOD.

6 comments:

dschulz said...

Well, you might not be crying, but I AM.

I have experienced the incredibly awesome, humbling feeling when you realize it's God's love and spirit pouring through you, touching someone else. To be a vessel for the Creator to communicate with another is almost too much for one human being to bear, good thing we don't always put that much thought into our service...just do it baby!!

dschulz said...

Okay, comment #2...
I had the funniest thought when I read you took your socks off for the kids--"Geez I hope his feet were clean!"--always the momma!!

John Schulz said...

yes, my feet were SUPER clean because i was wearing shoes and socks while playing soccer, and the rest of my legs were hardcore dirty with the reddish soil here. so the contrast between my dirty legs and clean feet made my toes shine like diamonds!

Carlyn said...

You dont know me but i'm thinking of going to africa with lgh and reading your post made me ridiculously emotional. ha. I mean it's just so cool that you realize it's all God and not...you. Ya know? And man, the vision in my head of all those kids....wow. It's nice.

Carlyn said...

OH i'm praying. I'm praying hard! WHEW! How long are you there for? I doubt i'd see you. I probably wouldnt go 'till about....January.
But yeah....
I have a HUGE desire and heart for Africa! I always have. It's just when and minor details that are always like...well....hmm...

Rachel said...

Hey, thanks for revealing your heart as it is changing in God's hands. I volunteered with the Suubi project and your blogs help my heart in the times I cannot stand to be here in America and long to be with those women and children. It's encouraging to hear you and others are there continuing what God has started. We are praying for you! Thanks!