Sunday, September 7, 2008

Of Hope and Dirty Mustaches

It’s an awesome thing when prayers are answered. It’s especially sweet when you get to see the collective prayer of 62 amazing Ugandan women answered…
Shortly before I arrived here the routine was to buy four necklaces from each woman every other week (bought at 4 times the usual price in the market here, mind you. If you’re at all familiar with the Suubi project you’ll already know that. If you’re not and you’re just reading my blog at this site, you should really check out lightgivesheat.org)
Anyways, soon after I got here word came from the states that Light Gives Heat would have the sweet opportunity to open a kiosk at a mall in Colorado during the Christmas shopping season. Which is awesome because American shoppers at Christmas are like hungry sharks and Suubi necklaces are like nice juicy fish (seriously, they rock. HARD) So in anticipation of the season, Light Gives Heat upped the order to 8 necklaces every other week, which was a pretty big deal, and set off a nice little celebration by the ladies at the weekly meeting. And then a week later, in even greater anticipation that order got raised to 10 necklaces EVERY WEEK...the roof almost blew off the Suubi building, I swear (and we got it all on tape. Keep your eyes peeled) Ladies were shouting celebrations, screaming, embracing, high fiving, and dancing around. And we got to sit back and witness the blessing, laughing right along with them. Thanks be to god that I got to be a part of it, and everything else here!
So everything is going completely awesome in Suubiland, which got me thinking of how easy it is to just start spiritually coasting out the good times. When things are tough and we really need something, it’s easy to be really dedicated to praying for that need (or want. distinguishing between those two can get tricky too. It’s much easier having seen the things I’ve seen here) But when your prayers are answered it’s easy to sometimes celebrate the outcome and put your dedication to the Lord on the back burner. And when things get tough again, you feel pretty sheepish when you intensify your prayers because you’re in a tough spot…and it feels just a little insincere. Hopefully you all know what I’m talking about and I’m not the only slacker who’s struggled with this. But I’m really learning the balance and it’s a billion times better to have that sweet relationship with God and to have the same dedication to Him no matter the situation. Plus, it’s just really fun and fulfilling to walk home in a torrential downpour with a smile on your face, thanking God for the rain.
So for now, praise God that the market for the necklaces is lookin good, and keep praying for big things in the future!!!
Ok, it feels like a ton of stuff has happened since I last wrote, so I’ll try to remember it all…
I’ve found my favorite spot in all of Africa so far (ok so I was taken there by one of the Suubi children, Reagan. He’s an awesome friend, but goes back to boarding school in Kampala today. I’m bummed) It’s this giant hill on the edge of Danita and has such a magnificent view of pretty much the entire span of Jinja and the surrounding villages, plantations, and in the distance Lake Victoria. I’ll put some pictures of it up online so be sure to check them out. It’s just a really peaceful place to come hang out away from town and the bustle of the village. Plus there’s a sweet soccer field.. I still gotta get up there for a sunrise…
I did some gardening with a few ladies (it was kind of a side show to see a white boy digging) and my left hand got pretty torn up (again, check the pictures). I think there was a total of 5 blisters on one hand. When they saw it they made me stop, but there was still other work I could help out with. The hand is all healed now and I’m ready for more, I just have to loosen my grip a bit.
I bought 2 chickens from the market and slaughtered one myself. It was my first time (I missed out on doing it at Grandpa and Grandma Schulzs’) I wanted to just lop the head off with a machete, but it was locked away. So I had to use a knife that turned out to be a little dull and it took some sawing to get through the neck, which was not cool with me. Betty got a kick out of it all, and we had a really nice meal that night. If we do it again, I’m gonna make sure the knife is sharp, although I don’t know how good I want to get at killin’…
HEY OH! TWO NEW SUUBI FACES!!! This week we welcomed Melissa and Kirsten, who are both tiny girls with enormous hearts. Melissa is technically only part time Suubi, so she doesn’t live in the house, but she’s around a lot and that’s phenomenal. Kirsten is full on, all go Suubi volunteer extraordinaire and completely excited to be HERE and involved (she was a phenom in the states). They’re both gonna bring so much to the table, so I’m pumped and blessed to be a part of this rockin team.
Today, we all made a 2 hour journey to visit Georges’ (the night guard here at the house) village and meet his family. George is such a sweet, kind hearted, honorable Christian man. I absolutely love hanging around and talking and laughing with him in the evenings. He’s a great friend here, so it was very cool to meet his family, and his residence was SO beautiful. Kinda like being out in the country back home, so it was really nice to be there.
His wife Janet made us an amazing African meal, we all got stuffed and then his children and some other village kids sang some songs for us. Julie and Kirsten had some sweet playtime with the kids while us men sat in the shade and talked smart. Our time there was great. The ride home, on the other hand, wasn’t that cool. We had about 20 people all crammed into a taxi van which is waaaay too many. Especially for these long legs. Plus it was raining so the windows were closed and it was all stuffy and sweaty. But, hey, that’s how they roll here in Uganda so I’m cool with it as long as it’s only now and then…

And last but not least, I have a sweet dirty mustache. And I’ll be honest, it’s one of those things that started off as a joke, but I wanna see just how legit this thing turns out to be. I think I’m almost past the REALLY nasty stage. I’ve been this far only once so I pray for the strength to press on. Just kidding, I’m not really gonna waste a prayer on that because I think God will let this stache go just so he can laugh at it.

ps. i think (or hope) that my mustache makes me look like a young Obi-Wan Kenobi. star wars rules all

pps. new pics here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=63433&l=7de71&id=503735906
and here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68122&l=78e15&id=503735906

6 comments:

dschulz said...

Deep thoughts. You aren't the only one who experiences guilty feelings over your lack of consistency. The fact that you recognize and are motivated to change it makes the difference. It's hardest for me to remember to praise during "status-quo" times...when things are pretty even-keeled. "Redundancy sedates us"...where's that from??

Justin said...

If you need any mustache styling ideas, check here! http://www.americanmustacheinstitute.org/

Schwendeman Family said...

You are in good company, John. Consistency and commitment to prayer and worship aren't easy things to accomplish 100% of the time. After all, we're human and we get side-tracked every once in a while. It sounds like this experience has awakened your introspective side and your eyes have been opened to learning more about yourself and your relationship with God. We should all be so lucky!!

P.S. Can't wait to see pictures of the 'stache!

Unknown said...

I believe the proper term for you facial hair is crustache. Stay strong and let that thing rip for those of us whom "society" deems our facial hair as gross or weird.

I am living vicariously through you John, keep living the dream!

Rachel said...

Dude, you're awesome!!! Thanks for putting all those pics up, it makes me really miss being there, yet so happy you all are there continuing to be changed and loving on the women. You're in my prayers
---Rachel

Ian Isaac said...

love the blog, and the moustache. i am so glad i get to enjoy it in person.